Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Personal Legend

It's going to be a late night, and I'm feeling thoughtful. These are quotes from my most favorite book of all time: The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo. It's about a Spanish shepherd boy. It is epic. A book rarely applies to my life like this one, and I hope these quotes offer guidance and such as they did for me.

"It’s [your Personal Legend] what you have always wanted to accomplish. Everyone, when they are young, knows what their Personal Legend is. At that point in their lives, everything is clear and everything is possible. They are not afraid to dream, and to yearn for everything they would like to see happen to them in their lives. But, as time passes, a mysterious force begins to convince them that it will be impossible for them to realize their Personal Legend."

"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams."

"When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will carry him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision".

"Most people see the world as a threatening place, and, because they do, the world turns out, indeed, to be a threatening place".



My Personal Legend: being a veterinarian. Who travels through space! Everything seemed a lot simpler when I was younger. College=choices, and I think it's important to remember to follow your intuition with so many people influencing us to do this, and look into that.

2 comments:

The new Kevin (a.k.a Kevin Kwan) said...

"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams."

Hmm, I can disagree with that. But my example is too personal to share with the entire blog right now.

Lily Y said...

"Most people see the world as a threatening place, and, because they do, the world turns out, indeed, to be a threatening place".

Definitely true! After watching some rather frightening videos taken place in South America, Iraq & Iran, I pretty much see those places as "threatening". Its hard to imagine I guess that there would be places where violence doesn't exist.

It seems like the more and more you know about the world.. the more scary it gets...