Thursday, September 17, 2009

How About That Blogging?

So I’ve noticed some flaws in the mode of discourse on this blog. I do not feel that people here are paying enough attention to their writing. I feel compelled to discuss proper writing and discussion techniques.

First, I have noticed a problem with grammar. It seems to me that people assume that because this is online, they can write things hurriedly, without much or any proofreading, and without conscious attention paid to being grammatically correct. Not being grammatically correct can be a serious hindrance to communication. I admit, minor problems in spelling or punctuation may not throw most people off. They do throw me off, as I notice the problem and begin thinking about it instead of the point of the article. However, when you get into seriously incorrect sentences, it can make it near impossible for the reader to understand what you are trying to say.

A second problem I have noticed is posts that seem to have no central theme. Without a central point to focus your writing on, how can you get any message across at all? People tend to couple this with a lack of clear progression and connections. If you make a statement, it is necessary to follow it up, and make it clear how what you say next is connected to your statement. People tend to say something, and then randomly jump to another topic, or throw in a few examples without explaining how the examples are pertinent to their theses.

A third major failing people seem to have on the internet is respectful civic discourse. Flaming is not the only way to fail at this. To come across as respectful and intelligent, you must have respect for the intelligence and points of view of others. Part of this is the tone of discourse: Hostile confrontation or an accusatory tone does not assist in advancing ideas. However, another part is what is hidden or implied in seemingly respectful or civic words. For example, if you state something as fact and in some way say that intelligent readers will of course agree with you, you may not say it, and you may sound perfectly respectful, but you are quite clearly calling all those who do not agree with you stupid and/or illogical.

This leads us to a discussion of logic. Making statements without proof or making clearly illogical arguments not only makes your post harder to understand, and makes people less inclined to agree with your point of view, but it is also annoying to no end, and will cause people to pay less attention to anything that you say that actually is logical. Blogging may be about opinion, but it is about expressing your opinion in a clear way to others. For this to happen, you must use logic.

Last, but certainly not least, is audience. If you are going to get your point across, it is an absolute must that you have some sense of your audience. If you do not understand who is going to be reading your post, or you do not understand what kind of person you are discussing with, your post is going to have a very serious weakness. If you are not writing to the readers, the readers will not understand.

I admit that I may, and probably have, made some of these mistakes myself. I will do my utmost to fix it from this point on. I hope that I have followed all of my own criteria in this post, and I do hope that those of you who aim to discuss things with me in the future will attempt to follow them as well, as I will, so that we may have meaningful discussions.

7 comments:

Victor Sukhovitsky said...

Ilan i completely agree with everything you said and as one of the only three posting this week, i feel that a significant portion of that was about me. Therefore i feel inclined to respond.

First of all, as for the tone. a sarcastic tone, which i adopted clearly in my post about history repeating itself, is more often than not a better conveyor of opinion and a better descriptor for audience than simply bluntly stating something because it portrays both sides, while clearly expressing that one side is being adopted to better the appearance of the other.

In addition, as for clearly stating things, i think that what is implied, to a group of intelligent people such as those reading this blog, should definitely be understandable and even better so because subtlety is a very effective way towards self-expression and bluntly stating opinions is far less effective when you are trying to make people see eye to eye with you.

good topic to post on, definitely a model for all of us

Anders said...

I agree with this post 100% and I try my hardest not to commit any huge blunders. Obviously my grammar and spelling are not always correct but it isn't a formal discussion so while I'm trying I'm not gonna go all out. About the point about rambling I hope I'm not overly guilty because while my posts are normally quite long I feel I do atleast an adequate job about tying each point back to my classmate's views or my own central idea. Hopefully I won't commit too many of the mistakes that you listed and I definitely think it's important to make yourself understandable when posting on something public.
Good post Ilan, I'm hoping for something super controversial we can all flame each other on later in the week :D.

Mark Sherwood said...

On the grammar topic I semi-agree. I think that grammar issues that are significant enough to distract the reader from the content of the blog are bad. However, I personally think that small grammar errors while blogging are not a huge deal.In my opinion, blogging is supposed to emulate a conversation rather than a news article or a paper.

LahaRulle said...

Victor: I was speaking to those who have been commenting on the posts this week. Also, not all of the problems I mention have necessarily been present.
I agree that a sarcastic tone is sometimes the best conveyor of your meaning.
I also agree that implying things may work quite well. However, it is even more important to be careful when you are attempting to imply things, as it is so easy to miss them.

Anders and Mark: I agree with both of you on the grammar issue. I simply mentioned that sometimes grammar errors that do not seem like a big deal to others distract me from reading.

-Ilan Seid-Green

P.S. I am considering an extremely controversial topic for today or tomorrow.

Tim dyer said...

Grammar/spelling errors are withstandable to a certain extent... as long as it is not constant I guess it is bearable

Amanda Rosas said...

Laha"you must have respect for the intelligence and points of view of others."
I agree with your article but in most instances people are not very good spellers and have weak gramer. In the end it's about respect for others intellegence and if that means bad spelling and bad gramer you have to respect that correct? That IS there intellegence level and a post about that might leave an inprint on those who do not respect others intellegence (gramer/spelling) so I commend you on you efforts.

LahaRulle said...

Dyer: Way to just repeat what everyone else has said.

Amanda: I'm sorry, I completely fail to understand what you are trying to say.

-Ilan Seid-Green