Sunday, September 27, 2009

Flooding in the Philippines


The tropical storm Ketsana hit the capitol of Manila on Saturday, and I feel like this is turning into a rerun of Katrina. Right now hundreds of thousands of people are pouring into hundreds of makeshift evacuation centers where, "food, medicine and other relief supplies are in dire shortage". The Philippine government is facing a huge humanitarian crisis, and has been slow to respond. Officials in charge of the centers are saying they are simply unable to cope, and don't know for how much longer they can sustain the centers.

I think that unless the international community responds to the government's appeal for help, and responds fast, the situation will deteriorate quickly. Looting and general anarchy probably aren't too far off in these centers, and I really hope the refugees get the supplies they need. I also hope the international community shows that we still support each other in times of crisis, and steps up to give the necessary aid.

And does this have a connection to global warming? I think most definitely (http://www.edf.org/page.cfm?tagid=1405). It's unseasonably hot here (not that I'm unhappy about that), and there's crazy weather all over the world. Luckily, it looks like Obama wants the US and China (the two biggest GHG emmitters in the world) to work together for climate change in some upcoming talks. So at least there's some good news.

-Liza Brownstone

3 comments:

Goldie said...

HMMM... I don't know if it's just me but it seems like there's been more and more natural disasters happening around the world recently. I wonder if this has anything do to with global warming.. hope not, fingers crossed!

Talia Y. said...

I think these natural disasters do have to do with global warming. Since the glaciers are melting, water/ocean levels are rising, which could put cities at sea level at risk. Does that also mean waves are bigger? This could be a possible reason for the flooding...
Yes, I agree. It is definitely at good thing that the US and China talk about reducing CO2 emissions, etc. The US should lead other countries to be more environmentally conscious. Why are we not?

lizaj said...

I think the main reason we're not doing more is because our leaders don't want to lose voter support. Cutting carbon emissions means restrictions on factory emissions gas/car usage, and Americans generally like their cars. Why ride a bike when you can effortlessly roll?

I totally agree they have something to do with global warming, it's too much of a coincidence. And I read (http://www.insidebayarea.com/sanmateocountytimes/localnews/ci_12872076) that in 2100 Foster City will be... Aquatic city. haha. But seriously, not good.