Tuesday, September 29, 2009

"I'm an American too, Damnit!"

***THE FOLLOWING IS NOT WRITTEN BY ME****
"What does it mean to be a real patriotic American? Nothing aggravates me more than the stereotypical Middle American patriot. You know the kind, the flag-waving, “support our troops” types. The soccer moms who boycott French wine with one hand and drive SUVs that guzzle Saudi oil with the other. Or maybe it’s the corporate American “red stater,” who uses his connections to get his boy into Texas Tech and sees absolutely nothing wrong with sending Hakim from Crenshaw off to die like a dog in the desert. I have been called “anti-American” by these “patriots” on multiple occasions.

Recently, I signed a delayed enlistment contract with the United States Marine Corps. This was the culmination of about six months of diet and exercise that would allow me to pass the physical tests required to even go to basic training. No more than two weeks after I receive my high school diploma, I shall be on the bus headed for boot camp. Why am I doing this? I love my country. Not the president, not the government, but the idea of the United States and the values I have come to equate with it: equality, social justice, and tolerance.

Do any of these “real Americans” have the cojones to do what I have? I think George W. Bush is the worst president I will ever see in my lifetime, and the Iraq War is the most flagrant misuse of governmental power that I have witnessed in my young life, but still, I shall go. My home is decent, my school is good, and my family could pretty easily afford to send me to college. I owe my country something for being so fortunate, but more for those less fortunate than I. For the poor son of a Nebraska farmer dodging bullets for the GI Bill, for the Mexican immigrant chasing the American dream who must sign up or starve, for the patriotic homosexual who is denied the chance to even serve because his country tells him that he is a second-class citizen, those are the people for whom I fight.

The people who say “one nation under god” need to be taught a lesson. They need to see that atheists can be in foxholes. I have no designs on finding Jesus in some hope-forsaken Iraqi slum. I shall show them by example. This left-wing libertarian pseudo-intellectual has more bravery in him than all the beer-guzzling, date-raping, all-American, pray-every-day football players combined.

Support the troops indeed! I do wonder if these Middle American patriots will continue to support me when they find out what I support. But ultimately that doesn’t matter, because I am still willing to fight and perhaps die on their behalf, whether they appreciate it or not, and that is what being a patriotic American means to me."



This is an essay by then 17-year-old Bill Kephart. I wanted to share it because, for one, this guy can write way better than I can. Additionally, this essay asks a good question in it's first line. What does it mean to be a real patriotic American? Or, to reshape the question a bit, what does being American mean to you?
Baseball and apple pie? Playground diplomacy? Freedom? Inept government? Opportunity?

As a result of past events, a majority of the world criticizes Americans, specifically U.S. policy and American leaders. Sometimes it's kind of embarrassing to hear a story about your friend traveling in Europe and having to purposely wear a Canadian flag on him at all times to avoid being harassed.


For me, the simplest, un-Bill-Kephartic answer I can provide is that being American means that I have access to many underappreciated advantages.

-Phoebe Chao

P.S: your opinions on Kephart's piece are fun to read! So tell me what you think.

11 comments:

ellery wong said...

For a second there, i though you were enlisting in the military.

The question that you bring to the table is an interesting one. What does it mean being an American. I also agree with your definition that we take many things for granted in America. Im glad that there are still people like this in America. I know that i myself take many things for granted and dont have the drive to serve my country. We can all enjoy the lives we live thanks to the men and women who serve our country.

Andrew said...

Is this kid even remotely serious?

"'What does it mean to be a real patriotic American? Nothing aggravates me more than the stereotypical Middle American patriot. You know the kind, the flag-waving, “support our troops” types.'"

Yet ..

"Recently, I signed a delayed enlistment contract with the United States Marine Corps."

and ...

"Do any of these “real Americans” have the cojones to do what I have? I think George W. Bush is the worst president I will ever see in my lifetime, and the Iraq War is the most flagrant misuse of governmental power that I have witnessed in my young life, but still, I shall go."

Man it gets better.

"The people who say “one nation under god” need to be taught a lesson. They need to see that atheists can be in foxholes."

Who said they couldn't be in foxholes? This isn't a Christian nation but it was founded on Christian principles. I know it hurts, but you just can't erase history.

"Jesus in some hope-forsaken Iraqi slum." Man this kid is a complete idiot. If nobody can recognize how stupid that sounds ... wow.

"This left-wing libertarian pseudo-intellectual has more bravery in him than all the beer-guzzling, date-raping, all-American, pray-every-day football players combined."

More ignorant generalizations, yet he claims: "The people who say “one nation under god” need to be taught a lesson. They need to see that atheists can be in foxholes. I have no designs on finding Jesus in some hope-forsaken Iraqi slum."

Amazing.

"Support the troops indeed! I do wonder if these Middle American patriots will continue to support me when they find out what I support. But ultimately that doesn’t matter, because I am still willing to fight and perhaps die on their behalf, whether they appreciate it or not, and that is what being a patriotic American means to me."

Good for you trooper and remember God Bless America.

P.S. What is this Middle American nonsense?

P.S.S. People that speak like that, don't even deserve to speak, if they're going to spout off such stupidity. You can be an atheist and live in America. Okay, cheers, but you don't have to make a fool of yourself attempting to criticize core true American patriotic values and principles bruh.

P.S.S.S Can somebody PLEASE explain to me what exactly Bill was complaining about? I failed to see the "argument."

-Andrew Oxendine 3°

lizaj said...

I believe he was complaining about hypocrisy: "The soccer moms who boycott French wine with one hand and drive SUVs that guzzle Saudi oil with the other", and his frustration at being considered "unamerican".

Pheobe, I thought you were enlisting too. First thing i thought was how lucky you were you didn't have to do college apps... ugh.

PH(OE)BE said...

Hahaha, wait, I'm glad I sparked some analysis within you Andrew.
Except I think he deserves to speak his mind (after all, being American means we have the freedom of speech!).

And just for Liza and Ellery I put a note in the beginning.
I guess putting the whole thing in quotes wasn't noticeable enough.

William C said...

I think that this guy is definitely passionate about his country, but I think that the question that this raises is: what is the basic scheme or format, so to speak, of America; Is America a salad bowl or a melting pot.

I think that it is a salad bowl in that you can have constituents and individuals, like this person, adhere to extreme ideals etc. that do not necessarily agree with the ideals and beliefs of other constituents. Thus a melting pot is not possible, but I think each interest group still expects America to be the catalyzing agent to produce "Patriots" (however they define it) like them. Needless to say, the American process of socialization or whatever else happens does not produce a single type of American. America is everyone's enzyme :). So whether it be "Boo government and Christianity and (X)" or "ship me to the front line", I believe that the American system upholds any opinion and every opinion regardless of its consistency.

Even so, to have the right to be heard does not mean you have the right to be taken seriously.

Mona Khemici said...

I definitely agree with you; this essay poses a good question that concerns everyone. In my opinion, being American can't be condensed in one word, like "baseball", because like Kephart portrayed, Americans are diverse in many aspects including means of showing patriotism.

I also agree with your answer to his question. Comparing to other countries, we do under appreciate a lot of advantages that are either hard or impossible to have.

Francis Wang said...

What does it mean to be a real patriotic American? Nothing aggravates me more than the stereotypical American soldier. You know the kind, the gun-waving "I fight for my country" types. The GIs who stereotype "Middle Americans" with one hand and promote equality through gunfire with the other. Or maybe it’s the adolescent American “blue stater,” who despises those that stereotype and sees absolutely nothing wrong with immediately thereafter pigeonholing a large percentage of Americans. I have been called “anti-American” by these “patriots” on multiple occasions.

Recently, I signed a contract to work at McDonalds. This was the culmination of about two days of intense practice that would allow me to pass the tests required to even go to burger-flipping training. Why am I doing this? I love my country. Not the president, not the government, but the idea of the United States and the values I have come to equate with it: equality, social justice, and tolerance. And Big Macs.

Francis Wang

The new Kevin (a.k.a Kevin Kwan) said...

First order of business, where did you find this essay? I wish I had that light humor in my writing.


"What does it mean to be a real patriotic American? Or, to reshape the question a bit, what does being American mean to you?"

Anything anybody makes it to be, within reason. There are too many answers for me to list.

Mark Sherwood said...

I think that Kephart is a bit hypocritical but at the same time has the right idea. As Andrew points out he critizises the "patriots" for judging him while at the same time he completeley judging and stereotyping them. However, Kephart is going into the marines. He is not going because he needs the money desperately. He is not going because he has no where else to go. He is going because he believes in America and wants to protect what it stands for. I respect him greatly for this.

P.S.
" "The people who say “one nation under god” need to be taught a lesson. They need to see that atheists can be in foxholes."

Who said they couldn't be in foxholes? This isn't a Christian nation but it was founded on Christian principles. I know it hurts, but you just can't erase history."

Andrew I think that you completely misunderstood his point. I believe he is expressing his dissaproval of the under god phrase because it implies that America is a christian country not because he is trying to "erasing histroy". I think it is very reasonable for an athiest willing to risk his life for this country to appose the idea that this is a christian country. Don't you?

Lily Y said...

Although I think that some of his words were a bit harsh, overall I agree. He redeems himself when he states why he is going and that it isn't because he was an American but because he wants a better future for the unfortunate. That is praiseworthy.

As for me, I don't think that citizenship or even being born in this nation really makes me an American. I definitely don't feel like. Right now, there is absolutely no pride in saying that is how I feel with the Iraq war and all.

What about you guys? ;)

PH(OE)BE said...

I found this essay in a book. I do not recall the title!
I thought it was semi Gov-Blog worthy and an interesting read. I'm glad it pulled a reaction out of so many of you...