Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Palin Factor


It is obvious that Sarah Palin is quite popular, as shown in part by this appealing action figure of Palin in a schoolgirl outfit with a visible pink bra, but how will her popularity shape the election?

According to this article, Palin draws an even larger crowd that McCain does and her support is still growing. She argues energetically in her speeches, and her fellow Republicans love her for it. There are also those who are embarrassed to support Palin in public, but will in secret give her their votes. Her contribution to the campaign is obvious, and she is a power to be reckoned with.

But of course there are those that are still against her. The elite of the Republicans are critical about Palin's lack of President of the United States quality (But this really isn't all that many people...), and the Democrats are all too willing to pick at her many flaws. Conservative David Brooks of the New York Times even called her a "cancer" to the Republican party.

She is immensely popular with Republicans and laughing-stock of the Democrats, but what matters more is her effect on Independents. Will she be able to draw in enough Independents to win an unexpected victory? Well, even if she doesn't, she will be remembered as the woman who almost saved McCain, and according to the article, "represent the future of the GOP."

(This is a time that I'm glad to be a Democrat so that I have Barack Obama representing the new generation instead of Sarah Palin representing my new generation.)

9 comments:

Michael Donath said...

That's a good point. I never realized that she really needs to influence the independent voters. However, I like to beleive that independent or swing voters are intelligent enough to do their research and understand the risk of making her "a heart beat away from the presidency". I have faith that undecided voters will make the right decision.
[/bias]

Paige Lenz said...

Kevin has a lovely description of the doll.
I agree with Michael's comment, I figured independents would vote for Obama, but she does have a chance to get some.

Ana C said...

I think that an important aspect of Sarah Palin is that she may appear to have more enthusiastic supporters than John McCain, but she also has more enemies and people that hate her compared to John McCain. Before she was chosen as McCain's VP, i talked with several democrats and they all said something along the lines of "he's not that bad". However, after Sarah Palin joined McCain's ticket I asked them the same question and there response changed to something along the lines of "If McCain wins there is something dreadfully wrong with America." Personally, I think that Sarah Palin has hurt McCain more then helped him, but in the end voters won't care whether the VP is popular or not they will vote for the ticket who will most help them.

nagelr said...

I agree that Palin has hurt McCain more than helped him, maverick or not. Especially since people will visualize something along the lines of this
http://www.palinaspresident.us/
and shudder in fear at the idea of her being that close to becoming president.

nagelr said...

Please note picture is interactive :D

Jeff Yeh said...

oh Wooooow Becky, your link was amazingly hilarious ... :D
The poor critters behind the door... and all these other subtle and not so subtle references definitely made my day. (though I don't understand the random dinosaur that walked by the window. What the heck is it supposed to be referring to?)

I definitely agree that Palin should be kept out of the oval office. For sure, no doubt, etc etc. I think Bush, or "Shrub" (little Bush) as I remember Mr.McGlashan calling him, was elected because people were able to see themselves enjoying a beer with him? And I'm pretty sure Palin was picked because she was representative of being close and similar to the average American. Problems of her own, just like how Bush had his alcohol problems earlier on in life. She just seems too unprofessional and I agree that she has probably hurt McCain's chances of being elected to the white house.

As for the "appealing action figure"... I'm not sure why anyone would buy one. Maybe as a voodoo doll... But still... Can you imagine owning one? I mean, that's just kind of... you know.. creepy.

Nick Franquez said...

I think since we live in California no one likes Palin, but to many less-informed voters accross the country, she appeals to them. I just wanted to comment on why someone might buy a Palin action figure, and it's because of a pretty funny scene from the movie "Grandma's Boy" lol

rachel s said...

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gN2UuEbyF64GtuHQfJzWDqDg7PqgD93VQJE00

I read this article and then saw the picture Kevin posted of Palin in that outfit. Thought you all might like to know how much it really cost...

Unknown said...

I can see how Palin maybe helped McCain. She's young, dynamic, and attractive. I think that McCain should have chosen another running mate, but Sarah Palin has brought a lot energy to the campaign and quite a lot of attention. Most of which is probably unwanted.
As I was watching TMZ a couple days ago, I saw that some producer was making a less than appropriate (probably XXX rated) video starring a Sarah Palin look alike. As a candidate for the presidency, I don't think I'd want that type of attention. It kind of shows the lack of respect that there is for her.
Anyways, I don't think anybody is actually taking Sarah Palin seriously. She's basically famous for all the wrong reasons. And hopefully, people are smart enough to figure out that she shouldn't be "a heart beat away from the presidency".