Friday, October 3, 2008

It's Friday, I couldn't help myself

Though a celebrity's vote is just the same as a vote that you and I will have in a couple of years, celebrities seem to hold a little extra power. Over the past few years, celebrities have been more open with their political beliefs and have openly supported candidates of their choice. And though the American public has probably already made up their minds, I can't help but think that there are a few unsure people out there that may be inspired by the speeches and support of Hollywood's A-list celebs.

ON PALIN:
"Is our country so divided that the Republicans' best hope is a narrow-minded, media-obsessed homophobe?" --Lindsay Lohan
"It's as if [Sarah Palin] became celebrated. Every woman in the world has applauded her strength and her convictions and poor little old Jamie Lynn – you saw how she was crucified." --Lynne Spears on Jamie Lynn
"I feel bad for Sarah Palin for all this YouTube stuff that's being done about her." --David Archuleta told PopEater.com
"The lady's nice ... she's cool. [But] she’s a heartbeat away from President. What in the hell? That is completely irresponsible." --Diddy

and a slightly frightening message from Diddy:


ON OBAMA (after his DNC speech):
"I cried my eyelashes off...I think it's the most powerful thing I have ever experienced...He's a candidate for Americans" --Oprah Winfrey
"What I hope happens is the country doesn't forget the jubilation and excitement that's been generated here," --Daniel Dae Kim

As a side note: I don't know guys...after yesterday's debate and a day of polling, pretty much everywhere is showing that Biden won the debate...

3 comments:

Kate Lin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate Lin said...

Yeah, I also noticed that celebrities are getting more involved in the voting process.

Did you know MTV has this campaign now at www.chooseorlose.com (or org, not sure)? They also have commercials playing on their channel all the time about voting.

And remember before, Diddy (and others) with his VOTE OR DIE t-shirts?

Although I find it surprising considering Hollywood and politics aren't directly connected, it really is a great way to get the younger people voting. It's all about having someone respected telling them to do it, and come on...young people respect AT LEAST one celebrity.

I still don't know if most people are informed enough to make a good choice, but that's a whole 'nother argument.

Paige Lenz said...

Vote or Die, to this.
Interesting approach by Diddy.