Monday, October 3, 2011

Circumcision ban prevented

California Governor Jerry Brown signed a bill on Sunday that prevents the banning of circumsision. This act was in response to a San Francisco group that proposed a citywide ban of the practice.

In July, a Supreme Court judge ordered that male circumcision was a widely practiced medical procedure, and therefore left to regulation by the states, not the cities. The new bill takes effect immediately over the entire state.

I know that this post will probably not generate much debate, especially since nobody wants to talk about such... topics, but I thought it was interesting.

3 comments:

JeremyHardy said...

I heard about this circumcision ban proposal a few weeks ago in my early-morning religion class. From what I understand, those in favor of the ban believe that the practice is unnecessary and cruel to babies, who have virtually no say in whether or not they are circumcised. Those opposed to the ban are obviously from the Jewish community, of whose history circumcision is a significant, sacred, and symbolic tradition, one that has been practiced for about four thousand years I believe. To us, circumcision may seem like a strange deed (one that most of us would rather not think about...like you said), but I'm glad Governor Brown was able to be considerate of other people's beliefs and religious practices.

PatrickG said...

I'm with Jeremy on this one. I would also like to add that trying to pass a bill about circumcision is a total waste of time. Why can't people get this passionate about something that will actually help people. We should concentrate on bills to get teachers back in schools, energy reform, or pretty much anything else. I think that I can speak on the babies' behalf and say that they don't really care. Their not even intelligent enough to move on their own yet so I think we'd be safe in assuming what is best for them even if they don't make their opinion known (which would just be a series of wails anyway no matter what you do so I say go for it). It is a choice and should remain so. Now California, let's move on to something of greater pertinence.

Crystal Cheung said...

I think it's ironic that they're banning banning. :)