Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Obama Takes Presidential Oath Again

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090122/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_oath_do_over_7

We all know what happened yesterday with the oath. Just to be sure, President Barack Obama decided to take the oath again. Chief Justice John Roberts delivered the oath to Obama, this time without the worldwide crowd. It took place in the White House Map Room in front of a small group of reporters. This time, it was done without any problems. Although Obama has still been president since noon on Inauguration Day, it was done just as "an abundance of caution", says White House councel, Greg Craig. This was a rare do-ever; only two other previous presidents have repeated the oath (for the same reasons): Calvin Coolidge and Chester A. Arthur.

5 comments:

David said...

I read an article that made it sound a lot more like people had stepped up, actually questioning the legitmacy of Obama's presidency. Seemed really stupid, but I suppose it can't hurt.

Aly C. said...

When I first saw the inauguration I was confused if Obama messed up his oath or if the chief justice made the mistake. Either way, I think that the way Obama handled the situation says a lot about his character. He did not appear demeaning or panicked, but instead handled the situation with a smile. I think the way he handled this situation is a good example of why we elected him. I am excited to see what the future will bring.

Chris Chan said...

Okay I saw it, and it really wasn't his fault. The Chief justice said it really fast and apparently he also made a mistake.

Some people are going to blow this way out of proportion but I think that most of us will be reasonable enough not to take it hard.

Norman Eng said...

I saw and heard that the second oath was more clear and lucid, unlike the first one which was pretty unusual. Its a good thing that Obama decided to take up his actions to redo the oath, and made sure that it was done right.

JN said...

I thought it was funny how right before he took the oath again he joked, “And we’re going to do it very slowly.” I think that it's good that Obama redid his oath because people would probably always question whether he was president. I hope next time the chief justice will use his note cards so he won't mess up the oath again.