Monday, January 5, 2009

Is watching too much news bad?

A couple of days ago, my friend and I had a little conversation at work and it went like this:
ME: "So did you hear about the Santa Shooter in Covina? I used to live in Covina you know, that was freaky..."
My Friend: "Yeah, things like that happen. It's inevitable."
ME: "Did you hear about that guy who got shot at BART station?"
My Friend: "Yeah, it was pretty sad..."
ME: "Did you hear about...."
Then he cut me off.
He said I watch "too much news" and it's "bad".
I said "what's wrong with that? I don't see anything wrong with it"
He argued that news on tv creates "paranoia". He said that news programs create this paranoia on purpose because that's how they sell their news. He believes that all news on tv are meant "to induce fear" and that the best news are found only on the internet.
I believe that there is nothing wrong with being informed and up-to-date. If we are gullible and ignorant, then yes, watching too much tv news is really bad. We just have to know which news is creating paranoia or is biased.

1 comment:

Jesse Chung said...

"NEWS FLASH

Happy little girl gets to school safely"

Of couse the news tells you bad stuff because good stuff should be assumed to be happening. For example, they report on airplane crashes because they don't happen very often and won't say, talk about safe airplanes landing. It is not neccessarily to spread paranoia that news does this its just that they report things out of the ordinary that people would otherwise assume never happened. After all, you assume that airplanes are safe so you don't talk about when they safely land. Furthermore, if the situation was in a reverse in some way, it would be talked about too. After all, what if ever chrismas, there was a crazy guy shooting and killing babies but on one chrismas, it is completly safe and nice. That would make the news too as "children safe this chrismas".