Sunday, February 4, 2018

Kylie Jenner Gives Birth to First Child with Travis Scott

Image result for kylie jenner baby


Today, Kylie Jenner announced that she had given birth to a baby girl on February 1, gaining recognition that was almost enough to compete with the attention centered around the Super Bowl (key word: almost). While rumors had stirred about her pregnancy for well over 9 months, neither Kylie nor her HUGE family line, including friends, business partners, and brands names like Calvin Klein, had actually confirmed the rumors. Kylie herself had also stayed out of the public sight for the past 9 months, dodging paparazzi and social media,only posting pictures advertising her business. This afternoon, she took to Instagram to explain her reasoning behind going incognito, and why she wanted to keep her pregnancy low key, alongside posting a video on YouTube that documented her journey the past nine months. After her announcement, the HUGE family line I previously mentioned took to social media, tweeting, instagramming, vining (sike. RIP vine), and snapchatting their congratulations, expressing how proud they are of Kylie and how she is beyond capable of being a mother.
I think this whole incident revealed just how much power and control celebrities have. Global issues like the refugee crisis in Rwanda, unrest within the Middle East, Kenya’s political issues, and a million other global crisis are being dealt with, yet the Kardashian family, and A list celebrities are publicized and given a majority of the attention. I don’t necessarily blame news sources however, because they know that these type of stories will stalk up the readers. But it’s just interesting to see that the public has built up the Kardashian name, and those who feed into their daily lives (and I’ll admit I do it too), regardless of whether it’s to hate on them or adore them, are the ones who are responsible for creating their empire. Good for them though, they became one of the most whispered names, yet none of them had a unique or irreplaceable talent.

What was your reaction to the news?Even though people basically knew Kylie was pregnant, why do you think everyone was so shocked when she announced it to the world?What are the dangers of celebrities like Kylie having too much public power?

Source (shoutout to both fox news and cnn for their take on the story)
  1. http://people.com/babies/kylie-jenner-welcomes-daughter-birth-announcement/
  2. https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/04/us/kylie-jenner-baby/index.html
  3. http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/02/04/kylie-jenner-reveals-shes-given-birth-to-baby-girl.html

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to add one to the point you made about the large, and often underestimated, influence celebrities have. Kim Kardashian, for example, has over 270 million social media followers across all her accounts. That is around 2/3 of the American population, and quite a big chunk of the global population as well. And every picture she posts is reposted and reposted again on to hundreds of fan accounts, basically spreading her image across the globe so that billions of people see her. She is one of the first faces people think of when they are asked about America (whether that is a good or bad thing is up to you). Because of this, I think there is no arguing the fact that she is a global and cultural icon. Same with Kylie Jenner (Soon to be Kylie Scott? Who knows...) but on a somewhat smaller, but still very large scale. As a lot of people know, I'm a huge Travis Scott fan, and when I heard that he and Kylie were having a baby, I was skeptical and apprehensive, partly because I think fatherhood will have consequences on Travis' musical career, and partly because Kylie is so young. She definitely kept us all on edge for 9 months plus, and it was amazing how she pulled that off with all the paparazzis that flock around her whenever she moves around. But right now, I'm happy that they're happy, and I hope that they stay that way. As for the dangers of celebrity power... All I can say is at the end of the day (speaking for myself), I'm going to do what I want, and not what anybody tries to put on me, so yeah.

Anonymous said...

Even though we already knew she was pregnant, I will still shocked when I found out she had the baby. I think the reason that a lot of us were so shocked is because they are known for being such an open family because of their reality TV show(s). Being so open, we all expected Kylie to share this news with everyone and take everyone along her journey, but she didn't, I think that is why it feels so unreal to a lot of people. Also, I think celebrities should bring awareness to issues since they have a lot of power but I also understand that they are under no obligation to do that. At the end of the day, people will follow what they want to follow.

Anonymous said...

Despite the rumors of her having baby, I was shocked when the news came out. I was confused at first because the Kardashians have always been in the public eye and seem to always share their big news with the public. It didn't seem real at first because while it was somewhat expected, it was never confirmed by Kylie, and there are always these types of rumors about the family going around. I give Kylie and her family a lot of credit because it must have been difficult to hide her pregnancy, and she had her pregnancy the way she wanted. While she is in the public eye, she has every right to have privacy.

Melanie Moore said...

I heard rumors months ago but did not think they were real on account of how young she is and how new her relationship with Travis Scott is. But after she went incognito for months, I started to assume she was pregnant. Even with this belief, I was shocked when she told the world she had a baby. Although she was silent for many months, this news is being covered all over, giving her more publicity than ever before (especially with that DRAMATIC video addressed to her daughter as the #1 trending video on Youtube)! I am glad she is keeping her life private for her health and the health of her daughter but as an avid Keeping Up with the Kardashian fan, I look forward to updates about her life.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the people above, and was also shocked when she announced the baby. As we know, there were many rumors floating around social media (Kim's surrogate??). I was exceptionally surprised that none of her friends leaked the news, considering that news sources would've paid big bucks aka millions to get pictures or just confirmation #realFriends. Anyways, the announcement video was amazing and I loved it. To address the celebrity power issue, I agree that as teenagers, we have the choice and ability to make our own decisions. However, I do believe that even if it isn't very obvious, celebrities have influenced my decisions indirectly. I feel like celebrities like the kardashians should use their fame to spread awareness about different issues, rather than just not commenting.

Anonymous said...

I always thought the pregnancy was a rumor, because the Kardashian family is known for living in the public eye and broadcasting every major event in their lives on their reality tv show. The stars have shared their weddings, divorces, pregnancies and births, and every family conflict in between, which makes them very appealing to people since they seem more relatable. When Kylie announced the baby was actually real, I was impressed that her large family and group of friends were able to keep such a big secret, since they live such public lives. But I think they used this pregnancy to gain more popularity ("Kylie Jenner won the Superbowl"), which seems inappropriate especially since there is so much going on in the world, and their platforms should be used to bring awareness instead of spending 9 months stringing along pregnancy rumors to gain attention and viewers. But in the end, the Kardashians have build an empire based on people's interest in them, so all the power to them.

Anonymous said...

Although it was evident through Kylie's actions that she was pregnant, I was still shocked when she announced her pregnancy. The Kardashian/Jenner family is normally quite open about their actions and they often find themselves in the middle of extravagant rumors so people probably thought that Kylie's pregnancy was just another crazy rumor someone came up with. Good for Kylie for hiding her pregnancy so well, as it was probably hard with her and her family being being in the spotlight. I am excited for Kylie and I hope she posts some good pics of Stormi!!

Unknown said...

I think that this is just another person in the Kardashian family once again making news. I could do nothing but congratulate them on the good news. Everyone is so shocked because she so young. I feel like power such as this could hinder the parenting ability of this person.

Unknown said...

Geez, I'm surprised something like this is getting a lot of attention. Seems to me like it's not a big deal. Maybe there's something I'm missing here?

Anonymous said...

I think these types of reactions from the public are the exact reasons why she kept her pregnancy on the low end. Honestly, I think it's ridiculous in terms of how much people are giving to these reality show celebrities. What does it have to do with anyone that she's pregnant? I agree with Max. I don't really understand what's the big deal here. Also, it's not like Kylie Jenner is being super flashy or making news about her pregnancy, which other people are doing that and not her, so I don't understand why there are even criticisms towards her being pregnant. Just like anyone else, she's just trying to build a family with someone she loves, and congratulations to them.

Anonymous said...

When I heard the news I was completely shocked, in fact even while I was watching the video she posted I STILL could not believe it. Even though pretty much everyone knew she was pregnant, it was still shocking to see that she was ACTUALLY pregnant. I find her actions very admirable and mature, she made the decision to do what was best for herself and her child. A mother will always put their children's needs before anything else and that is exactly what Kylie did. Despite me not being her biggest fan or fan at all (lol), I wish her well and I know she'll be a great mother.