Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Ethics Be Damned

https://www.apmreports.org/ethics


Poll: how corrupt are different US institutions?

According to ethics experts, including the acting director of US Office of Government Ethics David Apol, the actions of Trump's administration are decreasing the already low trust in our government. He was interviewed for the article the same day that Trump nominated someone to replace him. More than half of the members of his cabinet have been found to have engaged in questionable conduct, and according to multiple experts, Trump is sending out the message that it's okay for political appointees to do so.

Discussion Questions:
How has the current administration affected your trust in the American government and our governmental system?
Do you find the administration's corruption to be overstated, or would you generally agree with the article?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also have less trust in the government, as I'm concerned over how/if Trump's personal goals and beliefs are affecting the government. It's no surprise that I'm biased against Trump, but in my opinion, many of his actions like the travel ban are unreasonable, and his high position of power and influence over the government worries me. Even so, I don't know if I would go as far to say that the government is corrupt, but the investigations into Trump and numerous resignations don't make it look trustworthy either.

Anonymous said...

I personally feel like I don't mistrust the government as much as I do mistrust Trump. I feel like with his contradictory tweets, brazen statements, and a somewhat immoral character, he does not prove to be a very reliable person. This is scary because as Haley pointed out, Trump has a very high position of power. Therefore, he can make decisions that really go against a lot of people's values. However, this hasn't really led me to distrust all of government because I know there are people in government who will serve as check to Trump's power. Finally, I think I am more fed up with the lack of decision making and compromise in government, than their "corruptness."