Sunday, September 28, 2008

Tying Up Loose Ends

Wow, what a week we have had, and boy, did I pick a crazy week to take over this blog. This week has seen major political drama and could likely be seen as the biggest week in the campaign thus far, and the economic news that has come out this week has been the biggest bunch of bad news since the Great Depression.

Let's see if I can remember everything. This week started out with the massive bailout of AIG and the calling of Congress to hash out a $700 billion bailout plan called for by the head of the Federal Reserve Bank and the Secretary of the Treasury. This caused John McCain to abruptly suspend his campaign, bypass David Letterman for Katie Couric, and go to Washington, D.C. for a photo op while threatening to skip the debate. Then he changed his mind and attended the debate with Obama, which turned out to reveal very little about their opinions on the financial crisis. And in the meantime, Washington Mutual (or WaMu, the in-my-opinion very stupid name they prefer to be called) filed bankruptcy on Friday in the biggest bank failure in American history. "Whoo hoo!"
In the meantime, Sarah Palin appears in a humiliating interview with Katie Couric and goes on her first big foreign policy tour in that strange foreign city known as New York, President Bush goes on TV on Wednesday night in with another one of his classic "we're all going to die" speeches, and our do-nothing Congress fights over each other once again about the amount of the bailout and whether or not they should succumb to the Bush Administration's demand that there be no oversight or accountability on that bailout plan.

Yep, just another typical week in the United States of America. All I can say is that it's been fun trying to keep on top of this week and blogging about it, and it's reminded me why I don't do political blogging full time.

So, for my last post of this crazy week, before the torch is passed along, I couldn't resist embedding this latest Saturday Night Live parody of the Palin-Couric interview as a way to close out this week and kick us painfully into this next one. (And to Tina Fey, I too hope that you won't have to play Sarah Palin again after the election is over!)



For those of you who for some strange reason can't get enough of my blogging, feel free to check out my personal blog, which does contain the occasional political post among others.
--Douglas Bell

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice way to sum up the week. The video was funny.

Jeff Yeh said...

Wow i would definitely agree that it has been a crazy week. From the presidential debates to the 700 billion bailout plan, I don't think anything like this has happened in a long time, if ever.

Beautiful summary of the week and great video. As hilarious as the parody video is, it does emphasize (and over emphasize)some of my issues I have with the Republican ticket...Namely Sarah Palin. I agree and disagree with both Obama and McCain over some areas but I honestly like both of them (maybe Obama a little more). I think that both Obama and McCain have the potential to be great presidents, but I really would prefer not to see Palin as the VP of our country.

(I also agree that WaMu is a really stupid name :D)

Jason Bade said...

Sadly that was only half-parody, as Fey's most incomprehensible lines about healthcare and job creation were really uttered. At first, I thought it was scripted by SNL, but apparently Palin wanted to make SNL's job even easier.

It's time for Palin to give up. How can she continue this charade? Could you imagine if someone as incomprehensible and of such low intellect were to lead our country? The thought gives me shudders. My judgement of her did not begin neutral, given her very public views toward respectable science and fundamentalism. But, even if you were to ignore her opinion in matters that shouldn't even be political to begin with, her inability to articulate basic facts about some of the pressing issues of our time is disconcerting. We don't just have to elect Obama because he is better than McCain–McCain I can live with. We have to elect Obama, because if McCain's VP were to assume his office, our country would be much more lost than where Bush has taken it thus far. We are living in a far scarier horror story than Hollywood could even dream up.