Sunday, September 18, 2011

Government Protecting The People? What a Sham-u!

I woke up this morning with a heavy feeling in my stomach. What has happened to my beautiful country, and why is government getting involving in so many private affairs? SeaWorld is fighting a lawsuit from the federal job safety bureau because of the tragic death of one of its trainers. Why should BIG BROTHER get involved in the affairs of a private business? Has SeaWorld not suffered enough from the tragic loss of a trainer? Whale trainers understand the risks of working with killer whales, and so does SeaWorld. No need to punish a struggling family business for the pitfalls of one faculty member. I can see Thomas Jefferson, looking down from the highest cloud in heaven, proclaiming, "Deregulate, deregulate, deregulate business."

4 comments:

Kimi Hashizume said...

I completely agree with you. Seeing as SeaWorld isn't even a government run organization, why should they even get involved? I can't say Iunderstand how devastating it must be for her family and loved ones, but I must say that she took the job as Jacob said understanding the cautions of working with killer whales. Tillikum has also been put down, it's already been treated like an eye for an eye, hasn't enough damage been done? Money can never replace a person, and to be reliving what has happened, I think that would cause more pain than good. Another family I found is suing seaworld, but what for? Because it was disturbing, I can imagine, but I think extending to to a family among hundreds who saw the death is a bit too much. http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/08/27/family-sues-seaworld-orlando-witnessed-whale-trainer-death/

Kimi Hashizume said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kore Chan said...

In certain cases, I would agree that the government should stay out of private affairs. However, we must remember that the government got involved in private businesses because working conditions were so poor that government involvement was necessary for basic safety. Certain involvement may be unnecessary but we cannot have an overarching umbrella against government regulation.

PatrickG said...

Though I agree that there are certain things that the government shouldn't involve itself in, I think that this scenario is just a little different. My understanding of this situation is that the government is getting involved because of the many deaths that have happened at Sea World, not just this one. I remember hearing about a trainer accident when Shamu became aggravated not too long ago. A private business is a private business, so the government shouldn't get too involved in it, but the government is the government after all. It can't govern unless it does poke its nose into everything. I agree with Kore about this specific case. The government probably got involved because of the possible danger that these animals now pose to guests as a result of attacks on trainers. I support that decision full heartedly. If the government got involved at Sea World because it felt like it, then I would whole heartedly agree with Jacob and Kimi.