Saturday, September 14, 2019

Lofi: The lazy and calming vibe that's all over the Internet

I want to preface this blog post by saying that this isn't related to anything we're doing in class, nor is it based on a news article. I'm also not knowledgeable in music at all. After reading Natalie's post about origami bombing, I was inspired to write about something that I enjoy and value as well — lofi hip hop.

tumblr_nm6j1ghB7C1qze3hdo1_500Fall in love with these gorgeous 8-bit GIFs of Japan

What does lofi mean to me? Well it's more of a vibe or a mood that's lazy and calming. Lofi literally means "low fidelity," according to Medium. Lofi hip hop is the most well known variation of lofi, where producers make hip hop beats that have an element of jazz and other calming music genres. This new genre of music has blown up in the past few years, originating on Soundcloud and smaller music platforms.

My brother originally introduced me to lofi music, showing me artists like jinsang and nujabes. I soon fell in love with the genre. The beats strongly resembled those in hip hop but were also calming and perfect to listen to when doing homework or just driving at night. I can't really focus when listening to music with lyrics, but the majority of lofi songs are purely instrumentals, making them perfect for me.

 Image result for lofi anime gif

The rise of "lofi anime" (my made up term) has occurred concurrently with the rise in modern lofi music. Lofi anime are calm looped animations with a Japanese drawing style. Lofi hip hop live streams on YouTube are famous for these types of animations, such as the "lofi girl" on ChilledCow's "lofi hip hop radio - beats to relax/study to" live steam on YouTube. The stream has accumulated 1.8 million likes and averages over 10,000 viewers at any time.

I personally started an Instagram account where I publish short looped videos with my favorite lofi songs playing over it. Lofi music has been a huge part of my life. For one, it reminds me of my brother, who's now working full time in Colorado. It's also calming and puts me into a focusing zone. I'm assuming that the majority of people who read this blog already knew about lofi music, but I hope that I was able to share something meaningful and helpful to me with everyone out there.

5 comments:

Steven Zheng said...

I love Lofi for studying, and think its really cool that you have created an account where you can share your favorite lofi songs with others. As of right now my lofi playlist is just the one that spotify has already created but I am totally open to recommendations. Thank you for sharing your passion with us!

Anonymous said...

Given all of the negative things people say about the internet, it's nice to see something wholesome. There's a whole culture built around making people calm and focused in the simplest ways, and that's beautiful. "The internet" is such a vague term people throw around: "The internet shortens attention span," "The internet makes people violent," "The internet is tearing our society apart" (All of those are quotes from my parents). But that perspective doesn't have the whole picture, just the worst part. I've never used Lofi, but I might try it now. (Thanks for the shout out, by the way)

Anonymous said...

I love lofi. Lofi is an opportunity for others to bond and socialize with one and another. Lofi is a way for people to cope with their problems and help them focus and concentrate during strenuous periods of homework. Even though lofi is a great genre of music and it can really relax and help people study, it is also a way for people to connect with each other. The internet is a broad area that can be used for various types of subjects that can sometimes be unpleasant. However Lofi itself is a community of people and is for the greater good of society. Personally, I also do agree that nujabes is one of the best lofi artists out there and his song Feather is really out there.

X Æ A-12 said...

Yeah Feather is definitely one of my favorites. I also really like Arurian Dance

Anonymous said...

I love listening to lofi/staring at the looped videos for probably a longer time than I should. I'm about to follow your account so that I can get more recommendations since I usually just let youtube dictate what lofi I listen to. Also, I really enjoyed seeing this blog post that was, as Nat perfectly put it, "wholesome."