Sunday, September 8, 2019

Leaving a Mark - Thoughts from an Art Bomber



( This isn’t about Gov or Econ, or anything newsworthy, but I wanted to put something personal on here to hopefully be entertaining and add some levity. Let me know in the comments what you think.)

I started Origami Bombing about five years ago, after I folded a few figures as Christmas gifts for some friends. I had never done origami before that point. I started practicing the figures on bits of recycled paper as a way of memorizing them. I’d dig old hall passes out of my middle school recycling bins and fold them into a variety of animals, flowers, and boxes. 

The problem arose when I couldn’t find the heart to throw them away. Yes, they were disposable, and yes, I could make a thousand more, but at the same time, it seemed wrong to take something I created and toss it in the trash. I’m sentimental that way. So I just left them. Some teachers found this habit annoying, as it tended to confuse the next student to use my desk. Others found it as an entertaining break in their monotonous day. 

The ones in the first picture are from a notepad I found in the lounge at the dorm I stayed at last summer. All the papers were perfect squares and I couldn’t resist. The third is from Mr. Ratto’s daily calendar on his desk. This practice could be considered littering, and most of the figures end up in the trash at the end of the day anyway. Why do I do something so temporary? In a way, everything is temporary. The lifespan of your average origami crane is fairly short, but short life is better than no life at all. There’s a real joy in creating something, even something so simple, and leaving it behind.

The Crochet Bomb is on Hot Metal Bridge in Pittsburgh that might technically be vandalism.  I left it behind on my last day in the city. The city changed me, so I decided to change it, even in the tiniest way. A fair exchange. Maybe that’s why I do the origami, as a way of getting even with the classroom that morphs my mind a little bit every day. Or It might be the narcissist in me experimenting with playing god on a minuscule scale. If I’m being generous, though, it’s more about whimsy than anything else. I do it because it’s fun, it’s harmless, and some people find it amusing. 

So if you find some folded paper on your desk, it was probably me. What do you leave behind? 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like this post, mostly because I miss the days where I could go into San Mateo downtown and just see posts and signposts getting yarn bombed. I'm not totally sure it can qualify as any sort of vandalism, as vandalism implies some sort of destruction of public property, which none of your creations are doing. I would advise you to just continue what you are doing, and keep making origami. If a teacher doesn't want you to do it in their class, fine, but leave it as a gift in other classes where your work is appreciated. We all need these small bits of happiness in our lives right now.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that I thought your post was something interesting and refreshing. As I read it, it put a smile on my face on how I could definitely relate to your ideas about creating something meaningful and simply finding happiness in small packages. :)

Anonymous said...

ur so cool, i love you natalie <3