Wednesday, September 25, 2013

I'm Not Cynical, I'm Hipster

"Everybody is stupid and no one understands me." Except...
This beautifully sassy article I stumbled upon today. My heart leaps and twirls with joy, and I think I'm in love. Here's a few excerpts, just to get a taste of the sweet, dripping sarcasm:

"Political discourse in America has reached levels of douchebaggery previously only theorized about but never observed..."

"Do you think Americans are basically sweaty, waddling butter vessels who deserve to have their corn syrup taken away?"

Granted, rated PG-13 for strong language, the article is called "4 Things We Should Remember When Arguing About Politics," and despite its crude and almost childish sense of humor the article is, well, great! And this is coming from someone who gets the most indignant and downright recalcitrant attitude when asked to even CONSIDER a differing opinion (though I'm getting better...at keeping my mouth shut at least). The article lists four main points in such a way that even opinionated and stubborn you-know-whats like me have to chuckle and nod their heads. 

1. There are intelligent, well-thought-out arguments on ever side of (almost) any issue

2. You don't NEED to have an opinion

3. No one ever changed their mind from being yelled at

and, finally...

4. We're all just humans, man. 

Not exactly educational in a political sense, but as far as ethical arguments go? It might help ya keep your head on straight. Might be more important for some than the rest (cough cough *points at self*) but a fun read none the less....so actually CLICK this link. Like, READ IT. It's a good laugh, and an even better soup for the cynic's soul.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that one of the reasons arguments over politics are getting more heated is political campaign tactics. One way politicians campaign is attacking other politicians by saying their ideas are wrong and invalid. Follows of the attacking politician may believe these statements, influence the strength of their arguments.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.