Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Romney's New Ad Makes Its Debut


Romney has released a new campaign ad, and compared to other propaganda we have seen throughout this campaign process, I am pleasantly pleased with what I see.  This isn’t a high-budget ad, just the candidate sitting down in front of the camera talking a bit about his policies. With the absence of provocative graphics and spooky music, I feel like the message of the campaign is less muddled and ambiguous.  This connects back to what I posted about on Monday: that the message of the candidates’ campaigns is getting lost through the media’s priorities.  Although I may not agree with Romney’s policies (and his statement that he is committed to creating new jobs for those on welfare, deviating from his “47 percent” comments), I am one to appreciate this sort of ad.

Is there a reason we don’t see more advertisements like this?  It irritates me that many people are more convinced by misleading ads that include a plethora of “weasel words,” fear inducing graphics, or flat-out lies.  These sorts of ads can have the intended effect because they are memorable.  However, it is a bit disconcerting to me that an ad such as the new Romney ad actually had the effect of sticking in my mind because it lacked all of the extra frills and spin we tend to see in the media we are exposed to daily.

Do you think this may win back some constituents that were offended by Romney’s comments in the past week?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree that its a refreshing change to see an ad that doesn't depend on old school propaganda techniques to back up its message. However, I feel like at this point, most people are so entrenched in party loyalty that one ad that isn't as bad as it could be won't change any minds.

Eavan Huth said...

I also have to appreciate the simplicity of the ad. However, I did notice that while Romney is in part addressing the issues by saying he will take care of them better than Obama has, we have yet to hear what these policies actually are. Additionally, in my personal opinion, it makes Romney look very phoney seeing as this ad is coming out right after the 47% comments that blew up in his face. While it is never too late to try something, I have to agree with Rachel that the majority of voters will not be moved from where they already stand.

AlexisH said...

I think that while it is a honest attempt by Romney to try to clear up his opinions he does dance around some issues. As Eavan said, he does not specifically address the policies he has. I have to give some credit to Romney for making a video like this, I appreciate how straightforward it was.

Anonymous said...

I agree with what my classmates here have said; however, I do not believe that this new ad is sincere. I do give Romney credit for at least attempting to repair the damage done by his secret video, yet I don't feel like anything said in that video was a shock. Romney has said multiple times that he believes our country has a "safety net" with the poor and that it's not his job to worry about poor people. Yes, Romney has been known to change his policies and opinions multiple times, but in my opinion, the secret video finally gave us a hint of what Romney really thinks off-camera (or at least when he thinks he's off-camera). Thus, I feel like the majority of people will not change their opinions as a result. They will take the video and ad as more evidence to support what they already believe.

Michelle Yeung said...

This ad seems to be a more honest and straightforward than past Romney ads because rather than focusing on portraying Obama as evil or whatnot, he tries to somewhat highlight how he is "better". As others have mentioned, Romney seems to gloss over how he is actually going to accomplish what he claims he will. However, it is also good to keep in mind that since it is an ad, it is not meant to go into too many details, which could explain why the details are vague.