Thursday, February 26, 2009

What job would you take to survive?

I read this interesting article today about a family that went "from Beverly Hills to shoveling manure on a farm". This article struck my interest after we had our discussion in class about what jobs you would work at to make money. It made me think about how much some people must suffer to survive in today's economy and just how drastic this crisis is. To go from making over $100,000 a year to shoveling manure for far less takes a lot. In class, when we discussed some of the more disgusting jobs that people would work for to make some money, and there was always a choice. For this families life, however, it was not a choice; they were forced to transfer to a less than flattering job to keep their family going. 

This article struck me as shocking due to the fact that I had no idea somebody as well off as the man in the article may be could go from everything to almost nothing, hanging by a string. I was convinced that anybody who was making enough money would suffer some common luxuries, but never have to suffer to the point of losing an ideal lifestyle for a 28-year old.

I believe the moral of this story is to not take things such as your job or financial security for granted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i remember when all of this economy hoopla was first starting to brew i just kinda of ignored it and brushed it aside. i thought, we are a well developed country, we know what we're doing..and then lehman brothers and all of that came down and now im slowly starting to realize how serious it really is. but hopefully ppl are paying attention to the news and not repeating history. stories like this one is becoming more and more popular. sometimes i listen to the NPR and there are stories very similar to the manure one and its truly grounding and shocking. :[

sam & jo said...

I agree completely. It's amazing how these people who were just on top yesterday, can go so low as to shoveling manure the next day. I don't think we should take anything in life for granted. We should have Thanksgiving everyday because many people don't appreciate their everyday things. I feel truly blessed that both my parents still have their jobs, that I have my job and my sister attended college without any real financial trouble. Hopefully our economy won't get worse. I know our country is hoping for the best.