Thursday, February 26, 2009

"The Simpsons" sets a world record

This probably has nothing to do with economics or government, but Fox has announced that the station is going to renew "The Simpsons" for two more seasons. This means that "The Simpsons" will be the longest-running scripted prime-time TV series. Right now, the show is tied with "Gunsmoke," a western from back in the day; this record is 20 years.

But that's not all. The show will be premiered in Great Britain for the first time in its 20-year history this St. Patrick's day.

I'm not a huge fan, but I think that after 20 years, there is a possibility of running out of subject matter. I've been looking around, and it seems like many people are, if not excited, at least positively receptive to the new seasons, relishing the stability that comes with the sameness of the plot lines, the one-liners, and Homer Simpson.

So congratulations to "The Simpsons."

1 comment:

Kate Lin said...

I guess it could be tied to economics by saying that the show is so popular that the station is willing to pay for its continuation. In this time when money is harder to come by, it means a lot. We discussed in class about how stars ask for more money each year when their shows do well, and I think this is a good example. I assume the writers of the Simpsons ask for more money after each season, and apparently the station finds it profitable to keep it going. I'm not a big fan of the show, but I'm sure a lot of people are happy about this!