Wednesday, April 29, 2009

How are some of the many world events affecting you?

Lately, it seems that the world is almost falling apart at the seams. Genocide, illness, terrorism, war, economic woes, almost everything bad imaginable is happening somewhere in the world. As a member of a very affluent community, do you see these things in ways other than the statistics or the front page of a newspaper? I have been lucky enough to be relatively untouched by the economic downturn so far, and I have also been lucky enough that nobody close to me has been affected greatly. However, the first real concrete thing that happened to me recently was the cancellation of a mission trip to Mexico. Because our plane was stopping in Mexico city, it was decided that it was simply too much of a risk with the swine flu. How have these things been affecting you?

5 comments:

laura said...

This has been a particularly hard time for our world and the worst part about it is that hearing about this in unavoidable. Issues are everywhere are it is overwhelming at times. It's hard enough to balance your own personal worries with your day to day responsibilities, but now I feel like I am more concerned by global and national issues than ever before. I don't know if it is just because I have become more informed, or if more destructive events have been occurring lately, but I definitely feel more affected by current events than I used to. Especially regarding the economy. I would like to find a summer job, but I am unsure if an employer would want to hire someone who is only going to be able to work for 2 or 3 months. So I guess to answer the question, I just feel overwhelmed by it all.

David said...

Ah yes, the summer job problem is something I've noticed as well. Definitely a disappointing part of life right now.

Albert A said...

I really don't know if our community is really affluent. I personally belive that if we pay attention to detail, we would realize that everybody lives in diffeerent conditions. Now, the current economic situation of our nation might have emphasized the differences between people. I think we can notice the situation by going to the mall, sales have dropp and many stores are about to go bankrupt.

Moeka Takagi said...

I have noticed most the effect of the economic crisis. I feel like I was very oblivious before because there are really a lot more people around me that have been hit hard by the economic crisis than I had thought initially. I have come to know several people who have one or both parents who were laid off and are still jobless. Also, I have noticed more people are choosing to go to a college closer to home and also more likely choose a public university over a private university. Public universities are still expensive though.. I've also noticed the summer job problem too; many students entering college next fall want to have a summer job to earn some extra money, but they have not had an easy time finding one. I agree with Laura that it all is overwhelming. Even in our better-off community, I find things everyday like a company name change, sales, or out-of business stores that show the economic crisis affects everyone in one way or another.

Moeka Takagi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.