Sunday, March 22, 2020

The Emergence of Remote Learning


Image result for remote learning



Recently, many schools across the world have been canceled due to the coronavirus outbreak. To deal with the absence of school, many schools have attempted to use remote learning as a substitute of classroom learning. Programs such as Zoom, Remind, Screencastify, and Google Classroom have made an appearance and are used to help with remote learning. Many schools have prepared for the changes by giving out devices for those who do not have electronics at home and teachers were given lessons on remote learning. 

However, many problems have arisen as remote learning replaced classroom learning. One problem that was discussed a lot was how remote learning requires concentration and discipline. Without any discipline, many students would not be as motivated to do their work comparing to doing their work while in the classroom. Many students already procrastinate a lot while doing their homework so adding on classwork to procrastinate on as well would not help the situation. 

Another problem that has been brought up is how not every school is financially stable, and a lot of schools would not be able to supply devices to some of their students. Not every student would have access to a device and this would be problematic towards students trying to learn.

Also students with special needs would be extremely difficult to teach remotely, and there would be too many social distractions if taught digitally. Many students with special needs require attention and up front interaction in order to learn, but remote learning hinders the teacher's ability to do so.

Personally, I believe remote learning isn't the most effective way of teaching, but is the best solution to the current situation. Remote learning has many problems surrounding it and there aren't many ways to solve the problem. Classroom learning is far more efficient and effective, and challenges students head on rather than remotely. As the year moves on I hope that we can return to school instead of continuing to learn remotely. Personally, I'm worried about my AP classes and the tests that are coming later this year. Without learning in class, reviewing for the AP test will be a struggle and concerning for some people (including myself).

1. How do you feel about remote learning, and how has it impacted your learning?
2. Do you think remote learning can be administered better? If so how can it be improved?

Source 1
Source 2 
Source 3 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally like remote learning. I have been doing online school since sophomore year and it's not difficult if you just do it (but I and every other person I know procrastinate so it's a little easier said than done). I definitely could be doing a better job of keeping up with my classes, but I think we all recognize how helpful it is to have the extra time to complete assignments. So far, I think teachers have been doing a really great job of keeping us up to date using canvas. There are other online schooling sites I know Aragon uses that are also great, so I think overall we're doing a pretty good job.
- Olivia

Anonymous said...

I agree with Olivia, I think overall Aragon has handled the whole remote learning situation quite well. My teachers have consistently uploaded assignments on Canvas, posted screencastifies and held zoom meetings in order to guide our learning. Personally, I think my only complaints of remote learning are due to my own procrastination. For example, I get distracted with other things in my house and it ends up taking me extra time to finish shorter assignments. However, the only thing I am really concerned about is the AP testing because it is not only difficult to study from home, but also the tests are going to be different then what we were expecting.

Anonymous said...

I personally don't like remote learning since home is typically an environment where I can relax and not do any work since I usually try to get my homework done at a quiet coffee shop or the library because I have multiple distractions at home (younger siblings, parents, and chores) and since we're on a shelter in place it's been a struggle to get motivated to do my assignments while also trying to help out my younger brothers with their own remote learning.

I also agree with Olivia and Ava in that Aragon has done a great job with the handling of remote learning very well. My teachers are constantly uploading assignments, screencasting their presentation so we can hear their own notes, and many classes I would say have adapted well including for example, my digital photography class which I was surprised to see. Many teachers have been available for questions and quickly respond to emails whenever we ask clarifying questions so that’s nice to see. I am a little uncertain in if people are actually learning the content though or if we’re only doing the work for a grade which I guess is similar to the struggles when we actually are on campus, but I would say is getting worse since we transitioned online although I guess that’s for teachers to observe on their own too I suppose.

Anonymous said...

Aragon, as previously mentioned, has been doing a great job in handling this crisis and being there for their students. Honestly, I feel like this experience has showed not only students and teachers but also the district that remote learning, while feasible, is not exactly efficient. I am able to submit daily assignments but I feel that I am not truly learning. I do not get to listen to other students's insights and learn from each other's experiences. I do not have those lightbulb moments in class or create meaningful relationships within my community. So yes at times of crisis this is the best method to continue moving students' education forward, but this is not a way of life in the educational world.

Anonymous said...

I don't really like the remote learning. It is harder to get things done because you really have to rely on yourself to get all your tasks done. It is also easy to fall behind in class because if you miss one day of work you can have a ton of work to do the next day. I think it is being handled pretty well on Canvas right now but maybe teachers could have a zoom session with their class two or three times a week and go over new material. That would help.