Monday, September 5, 2011

Should We Celebrate Death?

In a CNN article posted a mere three hours ago, it was revealed that President Bush did not find any joy or jubilation when he found out Osama bin Laden had been assassinated. In an interview conducted by documentarian Peter Schnall, Bush expressed his feelings on a range of topics, including that of the 9/11 attack conduced by Al Qaeda leader, Osama bin Laden.

"Bush 'said to us certainly there was no sense of jubilation [and] certainly no sense of happiness,' Schnall stressed. 'If anything, he felt that finally there was a sense of closure.'" In addition, Bush discussed his memories of the September 11th deadly attacks, showing clear emotion throughout the interview. Schnall was deeply interested in the "overwhelming" amount of information that the president had to handle during those first few days after the attack. Schnall stated that "Bush 'spoke about the fact that he was journeying through the fog of war.'"

While the presidents decisions "'[have permanently changed our lives and the world today,'" I agree with his lack of happiness at the death of bin Laden. Many, many Americans would disagree with that statement, but I just don't think it's right to celebrate the death of someone (even if they caused the death of approximately 3,000 undeserving people). I disagreed with the celebrations outside the White House on that fateful May evening when they were happening, and after much deliberation, I still disagree with them. No matter how evil or cruel someone is, it's never okay to celebrate and party due to their passing. I can't say that bin Laden didn't deserve the assassination, I just find it rude to celebrate his death. So on this point, I agree with the 43rd president of the United States of America - I certainly did not feel any jubilation when I heard of Osama bin Laden's death.

8 comments:

PatrickG said...

This is always a very difficult thing to talk about merely because of all the different feelings going around. To those who no longer have family members because of the many atrocities committed in Osama's name, they would obviously gravitate towards sheer pleasure at the news of his demise. To people who have been virtually untouched, it is not so clear. They may be glad he is gone or they could be indifferent or also feel that death should not be celebrated. I believe that death is not something that you rejoice about, but in certain instances, it is the best option we have. In a perfect world, we would not have to deal with this problem, but, as I think everyone is aware, we don not live in a perfect world. The death of Osama bin Laden is certainly advantageous to us (in terms of moral boosting for the armed forces) but at the same time it is a death. I do not regret his demise because I agree that he was a horrendous person, but running out onto the streets and celebrating as if the giants won the World Series all over again... I think that's a bit much. In this case, I wouldn't feel jubilant, but I will not deny that when I heard the news, the first words out of my mouth were "good riddance."

Sophia Wienbar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I personally believe that the end of any life should not be celebrated. I am not endorsing what Bin Laden did, simply that I feel that the celebrations in NY City were a little too extreme for my taste. I respect what the US Navy SEALs did by providing a burial at sea. Nonetheless, I do realize that Bin Laden did use religion as an excuse to do what he did; and thus, many Islamists were offended by the traditional Islamic burial. Truly, what the SEALs did what tasteful and not rude and shows how well trained these men are. In addition, Bin Laden's death does not necessarily mean an end to the terrorist organization, just the man himself.

Sophia Wienbar said...

By the way, I had trouble figuring out a way to post the comment so that it shows who I am but, 859793a6-d90b-11e0-852e-000bcdcb8a73 is me, SWienbar.

itsALEXZ said...

When I heard the news that Osama Bin Laden had been found and killed, I didn't have much of reaction. But then again, I was not personally affected by what happened on 9/11. While I cannot say that I enjoy celebrating death, it seems unfair to simply disapprove of the "celebrations outside the White House" without understanding their perspective. I believe that those who lost relatives or loved ones in the tragedy are entitled to relief or celebration of some sort. Also another point that should be mentioned... Osama Bin Laden was a mass murderer who was not only responsible for the 3000 deaths on 9/11 but also hundreds more in multiple countries around the world. I believe that death, ordinarily, should not be an event that is celebrated, but in certain scenarios it might become an acceptable or even socially encouraged behavior. For example: Hitler, Pol Pot, or even Gaddafi.

Nicole Lahham said...

Personally, I wasn't directly affected by 9/11, but I was affected somewhat considering my family is out there. I could understand how some people would feel releived and happy about the death especially if it affected them directly but i can also see how some people would feel indifferent. I really could care less of what Bush says mostly because more than half of what he says makes no sense but of course he isnt going to be happy and "jubilant". Bush and Osama go wayy back to when both families did business together in an oil company.

robertbaiata said...

When i first heard the news that Osama Bin Laden was dead I have to admit i was happy. the guy plotted a terrorist attacked that killed 3,000 innocent people and like most american, they wanted to seek revenge (just like when we got attacked at pearl harbor) have Osama Bin Laden assassinated so i believe that it was right to celebrate his death. For Bush comments i think it was just for show because i dont believe Bush really felt sorry the way things ended for Osama Bin Laden

PatrickG said...

The top one is mine by the way. I just changed the name and it really isn't working. Hopefully this does.